Sunday 29 March 2020

They’re coming outta the goddamn walls PCB Raid! - Part 2

The next day I was still buzzing about the Raid and couldn’t stop thinking about the awesome haul.  I couldn’t wait to go through the boards, identify the ones I wasn’t sure about and start testing them.  However I also started to get a touch of Raid regret, items I’d left behind, but really should have picked up.  I definitely should have grabbed the Namco Rally-X board.  Also I’d left behind a Sega Mega-Play motherboard complete with four carts, which I wish I’d picked up.  In the end I decided to phone the Op and managed to arrange another visit.


When I arrived at the unit he was in the middle of a big sort out. 


He let me have another rummage round the unit.  On this occasion I was a bit more picky and started to cherry pick through the boards a little bit more.  I think if I’d cherry picked on the first visit, he may not have been quite so keen on me visiting a second time round.  It’s always a bit of a fine balance.

There were various parts and spares everywhere I looked.

 




Rod-Land, a fantastic single-screen arcade platformer by Jaleco, was another top find. 


I actually saw this board on my last visit, put it to one side and thought I’d picked it up.  I would have been a bit gutted if I’d got home only to find I’d left it behind!  I also grabbed the Rally-X and the Sega Mega-Play board and carts.

I then had a better look round the loft area as I’ll call it.  The lighting was poor, but I noticed there were some boards amongst the various parts.  I started pulling out the boards and passing them to my wife. 


It seemed apt that in this poorly lit, confined space, with PCB’s in all the nooks and crannies, I pulled out an Aliens PCB!  It didn’t take long before my wife was running out of space to put them.  I also managed to find Violent Storm, a scrolling beat-em-up by Konami, which had been high on my wants list.

I’d only gone back for a couple more and ended up with this lot!


With the boot loaded up, we left the unit.


There was one Taito board I couldn’t identify and left behind. 


As we drove back to the holiday park, I started googling and found out the board was actually Return of the Invaders, released in 1985 and the third official title in the series.  I’d never heard of it before and thought the game looked pretty cool.  We ended up doing a U-turn and going back for it.  In case you’re wondering, yes I was testing the wife’s patience at this point!

At the end of the HoliRaid, I re-packed the boards a bit better for the journey home.  One cardboard box had boards stacked vertically, and as I took them out I noticed they had been sitting on boards at the bottom!  The first board was WWF Superstars boot, nothing too exciting there.  The second board was none other than Konami’s awesome shooter from 1983, Juno First!  I was so excited to see this one, and I’m almost ashamed to admit I done a little fist pump!

No comments:

Post a Comment