Monday 12 October 2020

Arcade Hub - Hull

Well it’s been a while since I’ve done an arcade write-up!  On our recent holiday we checked out Arcade Hub in Hull.  We booked a two hour session and had the arcade to ourselves, which was pretty awesome.

Here is a walk round video of the arcade.


The arcade was a big hit with my kids.  They loved battling it out on Street Fighter II and having a blast on Gunblade NY.



My little boy kept going back to the room he called ‘the dark arcade.’  Here the only light was from the glow of CRT’s and the fluorescent tubes behind the marquees, bringing back memories of arcades back in the day.

Adding to this nostalgia was RoboCop in a generic cab, just how I remember it. 

 

I used to go on bike rides with my dad to a local holiday camp, have fish n chips and pop in the arcade.  RoboCop is the one game which stands out from these trips.  It has one of my favourite attract sequences ever, with the silhouette of RoboCop appearing in the red police light beacon on the high score table, and the incredible speech as he lists his prime directives, “Serve the public trust.  Protect the innocent.  Uphold the law.”  In fact it’s impossible not to read this without hearing his voice!  We then see RoboCop’s right leg opening up to reveal a mechanical holster, with him taking his gun and firing it across the screen.  I had to wait a few years before I was allowed to watch the film, so being able to play the game and actually be RoboCop was awesome for a young boy, and the game still holds up and plays incredibly well today.

Sega was well represented, including the stunning OutRun DLX.  Hang-On was awaiting repair work during our visit.

My boy kept going back to Pac-Mania.  I love the awesome marquee art.

It was the first time I’d seen a Spy Hunter sit-down cab, very cool.



The arcade also has a nice selection of pinball tables.

Some more pics of the arcade.





With a great selection of machines and fantastic value, we’d strongly recommend visiting Arcade Hub.

On a final note, here are some more pics of the awesome street art nearby.








No comments:

Post a Comment