Monday 2 September 2019

New Arrival – Electrocoin Goliath

My latest arcade purchase came as a bit of a surprise.  I remember the rows of Goliaths down the seafront back in the day.  A truly iconic machine indelibly seared deep into my arcade memories.


It was actually my parents who spotted it for sale in a local antique shop.  Their description wasn’t the most helpful, basically saying it was all the colours of the rainbow and a grubby old thing!  I sent the wife to investigate as I was working away from home.  Apparently the machine was working, but the shop owner couldn’t find a power lead.


The antique shop has some really interesting bits, and I always enjoy having a look round.  The great thing is you never really know what you’re going to find.  A couple of years ago they had a nice looking ‘Winner’ cab, a Pong clone and apparently the first cabinet by Bally, dated 1973.  The cab was bought by a fellow arcade collector.


Here are some more pics of the antique shop.








Moon Flight, a pinball table released by Zaccaria in 1976.  This was already sold.


A nice looking Bang & Olufsen CRT on a motorised stand.


A bear, a horse and a Dalek walk into a bar.


Now this was a blast from the past!  I remember these down the arcades, they were always a bit of a giggle.  It’s been years since I’ve seen one, in fact I had forgotten all about them!



They also had some console games, including relatively modern titles as well as a couple of random Japanese Sega Megadrive games amongst some camera lenses.



The wife managed to get the Goliath for a cracking price.  I didn’t get to see it until it turned up, and I was pleasantly surprised with its condition.  In fact it’s the mintiest mint Goliath I’ve ever seen.  The monitor glass was included, I just had to go back and pick it up.  I tried to find out a bit more about the history of the cab when I returned for the glass.  It turns out the person the shop owner bought it from is a big collector of seventies and eighties items.  He’s had the machine in his home for the last twenty years and is currently having a bit of a clear out.  The cab does have a PCB inside, most likely Olympic Soccer ’92, but so far I’ve only gave the machine a quick look over and haven’t tested it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment